Amazon’s alleged “bruising workplace.” Walmart’s boost to its minimum wage. Google’s focus on diversity. HR topics like workplace culture, compensation, and diversity often go viral. But what about less “Hollywood” topics that are keeping HR and business leaders up at night?
We searched for articles about day-to-day HR issues that earned high numbers of social media shares over the last 12 months, and found 18 popular articles on subjects ranging from recruitment and retention to strategic CHROs. If you are catching up after summer vacation or ramping up for a busy fall, here is a list of widely-read how-to articles for strategic HR pros:
Recruiting Top Performers
- A Manager’s 10-Step Guide for Hiring Top Talent, by Lou Adler, CEO, The Adler Group, Inc.com
- Personalized Outreach: Yahoo’s Secret to Talent Acquisition Success, by J.T. O’Donnell, CEO of CareerHMO & CAREEREALISM, LinkedIn Talent Blog
- The Advantages and Pitfalls of the Modern Hiring Process, by Ambra Benjamin, engineering recruiter at Facebook (via Quora), Mashable.com
Retaining Top Talent
- Google HR Boss Explains the Only 2 Ways to Keep your Best People from Quitting, by Jenna Goudreau, deputy editor at Business Insider, BusinessInsider.com
- Employee Retention 101: How to Keep a Talented Team Intact, by Bruce Kasanoff, contributor for Forbes, Forbes.com
- 5 Companies Tell Us How They Retain Their Best Talent, by Sara Sutton Fell, CEO and founder of FlexJobs, Entrepreneur.com
- 5 Ways How Leaders Achieve Genuine Employee Engagement, by John Schwarz, CEO of Visier, FastCompany.com
- 8 Deadly Ways to Kill Employee Motivation, by Lolly Daskal, President and CEO of Lead From Within, Inc.com
- How to Get Employees Excited to Do Their Work, by Kelly Decker and Ben Decker of Decker Communications, HBR.org
- Why CHROs Make Great CEOs, Harvard Business Review, HBR.org
- People Before Strategy: A New Role for the CHRO, by Ram Charan, business advisor, Dominic Barton, global managing director of McKinsey & Company, and Dennis Carey, vice chairman of Korn Ferry, HBR.org
- What Separates Great HR Leaders from the Rest, by Jack Zengar, CEO of Zenger/Folkman, and Joseph Folkman, president of Zenger/Folkman, HBR.org
- Reinventing Performance Management, by Marcus Buckingham, founder of the Marcus Buckingham Company, and Ashley Goodall, director of leader development at Deloitte Services LP, hbr.org
- How Adobe Keeps Key Employees from Quitting, by Anne Fischer, Fortune columnist, Fortune.com
- Differing Work Styles Can Help Team Performance, by Carson Tate, founder of Working Simply, hbr.org
- Geeks Arrive in HR: People Analytics is Here, by Josh Bersin, founder and principal at Bersin by Deloitte, Forbes.com
- How Analytics is Changing People Management, by Bernard Marr, founder and CEO of the Advanced Performance Institute, LinkedIn.com
- Workforce Planning: The War Room of HR, by Sylvia Vorhauser-Smith, Senior Vice President of Research at PageUp People, Forbes.com
About the author: Karra Barron
Karra Barron is Visier's Sr. Content Marketing Manager and has over a decade of experience using storytelling to move people into action. At Visier, she is responsible for developing a wide range of thought leadership resources that educate and inspire business users to become data-driven leaders.
Be the first to know!
Never miss a story! Get the Outsmart newsletter.